Australian fashion and lifestyle bloggers Louisa and Holly from The Boyfriend Shirt jetted off to Mercedes Benz Fashion Week for a week filled with – obviously - fashion, creativity, trend spotting and inspiring conversations. They were our eyes and ears on the ground and took some of our favourite new arrivals – which are coming very soon - for a spin on the fashion circuit. The fashionable duo have shared their favourite moments at MBFW, from designer highlights, key trends to watch through to tips to survive Fashion Week.
Mercedes Benz Fashion Week is always a crazy, fun whirlwind and this year was no different. Now in the second year of eschewing traditional SS/AW collections for a more global resort showing, MBFWA provided the perfect backdrop for Australian designers to showcase their work for an international audience.
It is always so inspiring to see the shows in Sydney and this year we were fortunate enough to be able to watch a wide range of different designers. Overall highlights would have to be the incredible set and delicate hand beading at Steven Khalil, the gorgeous prints and amazing party vibes at Macgraw and the empowered fluffy heaven that was Dyspnea.
Key trends we saw coming through the week included:1. Dressing more and more for comfort, with oversized shapes and sensible heels or slides featuring heavily.
2. The embellishment trend shows no sign of slowing down, with most shows we saw having some kind of nod to a feature beading or embroidery.
3. Finally, neutrals are making their way back after the Gucci inspired OTT dressing but this time paired with a metallic or denim pop to give them a new and fresh edge.
While you always want to put your best fashion foot forward the long days and multiple locations meant that our looks had to look good and feel good. Our signature style is quite laid back anyway and so the current Betts collection let us mix and match looks while still staying very comfortable. Our favourite pieces from the week would have to have been the CASH Boots in gold, the POSEY sneaker and the GIANNI boots in pewter.
1. Portable phone charger - All those Instagram stories chew through your battery.
2. Facemasks - Between flying and daily makeup, a good sheet mask saved us (including our photographer Kai).
3. Comfortable shoes - Between waiting for shows and walking to different locations a good comfy shoe is essential!
Fashion Week Dos and Don’ts:
DO come prepared with all the info you need for the show so you don't hold anyone up (or worse, miss it).
DON’T be afraid to dress outside your norm, Fashion Week is a chance to step outside your comfort zone.
DO remember to take a moment to enjoy yourself, it's work but it is a very good day in the office!
DON’T sweat the small stuff. Things are always going to go wrong but a sense of humour is essential.